Weighted Blankets - A New Zealand Guide
All you need to know about the benefits of weighted blankets and what makes the Somni Weighted Blanket the most balanced and best quality weighted blanket available.
So what is a weighted blanket?
Think of it as an evenly weighted duvet. The weight feels like a warm ‘hug’. It lowers stress and anxiety creating calm. This calm is what makes quality deep restful sleep possible
There is an inner blanket, which is weighted. And then there is a cover over the top of the blanket, which is washable (again, like how a duvet works).
The Somni weighted blanket comes with a range of possible covers to suit your needs.
Who should consider using a weighted blanket?
- If you are concerned about the length or quality of your sleep. E.g. are you struggling to get to sleep, waking up during the night or, my personal nemesis, waking up at 4am and not being able to get back to sleep until 1 minute before the alarm goes off!
- If you are stressed or anxious. Especially if the anxiety of stress is affecting your sleep.
- Anyone suffering from insomnia or sleeping disorders.
- If you fidget or toss and turn in bed.
- If you have restless leg syndrome.
- If you have ADHD.
- If you have Autism.
How do they work?
- Weighted blankets create Deep Pressure Therapy (DPT). DPT feels similar to being ‘hugged' and has the following benefits:
- Improves sleep length and quality.
- Reduces the symptoms of anxiety and stress.
- Relieves symptoms of depression.
- Relieves the perception of pain.
- There are some other simple benefits of weighted blankets to be aware of:
- If you toss and turn a lot during the night, your weighted blanket will help relieve this. I have always tossed and turned through the night but this was largely reduces when I started using a weighted blanket.
- The Somni Weighted Blanket is specifically designed to ‘breathe’ and keep you cool through the night. So, somewhat counterintuitively, weighted blankets are good for hot sleepers.
So, why is the Somni Weighted Blanket the absolute best?
One word- Balance
- Our blanket attaches to the cover with a zip system (ZipperTek). This might not sound like much but trust us, once you have felt the difference, you will never go back. The result is no bunching and sagging and wrestling each day to get your blanket flat on your bed!! Instead, your blanket is perfectly balanced all night long.
- We are 100% NZ founded and operated. This means when you are dealing with us, you are dealing with Kiwi’s living locally and not an overseas company.
- The finest quality, environmentally friendly materials have been used so your blanket is balanced for you and also balanced for the environment.
- Our weighted blankets are filled with micro glass beads (non-toxic hypo allergenic) which are woven into the blanket in small pockets meaning the weight is balanced throughout your blanket.
- Your blanket is made up of 7 premium material layers. This helps your blanket ‘breathe’, regulating temperature.
- The quality of our weighted blankets is something we are very proud of. We also want to make sure that you are completely happy with it. That is why we have a 100-Sleep-Guarantee on all our weighted blankets.
Some common misconceptions about Weighted Blankets:
- I sleep hot and this will just make me hotter.
This was my biggest fear when Aroha bought me my first weighted blanket in 2018. I was surprised with how cool the blanket was- much cooler than a normal duvet. I sleep with just a weighted blanket in summer and a weighted blanket and a duvet over the top in winter.
- All weighted blankets are created equally
They are not. There is a huge range of quality when it comes to weighted blankets. Most weighted blankets are mass produced cheaply made products. Be sure to check the materials being used, the types of cover available and how the cover attaches to the weighted blanket itself. You want to ensure that you are purchasing a blanket which will last and which you will be very happy with it as it will become a big part of your life.
- The weighted blanket needs to be touching my skin.
Not true. Many people, especially in New Zealand, sleep with a sheet between them and the duvet. If this is your preference then we recommend continuing to do this but with your weighted blanket over the top of the sheet.
Somni- empowering sleep and balanced wellbeing